Monday, July 9, 2007

We all scream for UStream!



Last month I toyed around with UStream.tv as a solution to videoconferencing. I've been long seeking a solution that will allow me to conference with multiple people and multiple mediums (read: video and audio.) Ideally, I'd like to be able to switch between a cam and a screen capture, ala Camtasia, and broadcast in stereo audio (FM quality at LEAST). The idea being that I can work remotely with producers; they can listen to cue's-in-progress and give notes while I'm in the production process. My current workflow involves "flattening" mixes to files (usually an MP3 or Windows Media), emailing said file, then waiting for notes on that before continuing. Short circuiting that process a bit would be....nice.

I'd toyed around with UStream, but it's limitation was that it (understandably) wants to use a voice-quality, mono source. While this is probably good for the bulk of Ustream broadcasts, it would be nice to at least have the option (paid even!) to broadcast in higher-quality.

But I digress..... I tried out Ustream again today, this time using my mic to pick up whatever was in the room. I'm not sure exactly what about me is compelling enough to want to watch me noodle around in my studio, but it can't be any more boring than watching Chris Pirillo surf the internet.....

3 comments: