Saturday, March 14, 2009

Wanted: DIY WiFi soil meter

I'm trying to put together a basic soil sensor: moisture and pH, that will report it's data via wifi/twitter. There are some commercial options, but I want a DIY version (for the sake of experimentation.)

Basically, I want to install a probe in my garden soil that periodically measures temperature, moisture, and pH, then sends that data via wifi to either an email, twitter, or some electronic means, where I can do historical collection/analysis.

Adding a GPS later down the line would be neat if the system were to be distributed.

Big picture: a Google Maps mashup with probe locations and realtime soil data, as well as trending (ala Google Finance.)

Any ideas?

update: Botanicalls has a great kit, but how can I make it solar/wifi?

No comments: